In this page you will find some of the key aspects of the IEA Visiting Researchers Grant Programme.
Applications could be submitted from 2 June 2017. The deadline is 3 July 2017.
The application process is exclusively on-line.
For more information, the application form and all details on the application procedure, click at the link to your right ("Applying for the Grant").
In case you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
What is the purpose of the grant?
The grant aims at internationally promoting academic research on the self-government of Catalonia by funding research stages for foreign researchers within consolidated research groups attached to Catalan universities.
Submissions must include a research project based upon at least one of the research lines of the IEA:
- The self-government of Catalonia
- The system of decentralization in Spain
- The European Union and the Catalan self-government
- Comparative analyses dealing with federalism and other systems of governance (including Catalonia).
- Self-determination and secession.
Who can apply?
This visiting grant is for researchers in the areas of Constitutional Law; European Union Law; International Law; Political and Social Sciences; or Economics. They must have a professional link to a university or research centre outside of Catalonia and of Spain.
Applicants must already hold a PhD degree when they submit their application.
Researchers may apply for visits that can last between 3 and 9 months. Once the research stage has been completed, visiting researchers will have up to 6 months to submit a research paper according to the criteria established by the IEA.
Visits may be planned for 2017 and 2018. In any case, when planning your stage you must take into account that on a whole (stage+ up-to-six-month period for submitting the research project) the grant period cannot be extended beyond 31 December 2018.
During the stage, researchers will have to contact the IEA in order to agree an academic activity of diffusion of the research project (conference, debate, etc.) to be hold at the IEA.
Value of the Grant
The value of the grant award would based upon a double concept: a monthly allowance (1,800 €) and a travelling allowance. The travelling allowance will differ depending on the country the researcher comes from. It is based upon the standard cost of return-flight ticket cost in economy class.
How to apply?
First of all, you need to contact a research group within a Catalan university (or research centre) so you both can agree the terms of your visit. Please take into account that in case you are awarded with the grant, you will be required to provide a letter of invitation by the director of the Catalan research group.
Secondly, you have to prepare your proposal which has to contain three separate documents:
- Your research project.
Please use the standard form available at the web "Applying for the Grant" (look at the bottom of the page, more precisely at "By internet". Click at "Step 1" and you will find the research project standard form (as well as the Application Form and the other standard form you must attach to your application).
- Your CV (selection of the last five years publications, research projects and other relevant academic activities).
There is no standard form for the CV.
- The basic information about the Catalan research group (academic activities, members, etc.).
Information about the Catalan research group must be provided using a standard form. As for the research project, such form is available at "Applying for the Grant" web page, at the bottom page, see “By internet” and “Step 1).
These three documents must be attached to the Application Form (available at Applying for the Grant).
Thirdly, you have to submit your application by 3 July 2017.
The amount of the grant will be paid in three instalments:
- 60% of the total amount at the moment of awarding the grant.
- 20% once the research stage has been completed and conditioned to the submission of 1) a letter from the director of the host research group confirming the researcher’s stage dates and activities carried out, and 2) a report on the development of the research project (on a standard form).
- Last 20% conditioned on the IEA positive evaluation of the research paper (that has to be submitted no later than 6 months after the end of the stage).
Should I follow any specific criteria when writing the research paper?
The research paper must be submitted no later than 6 months after the end of the stage and must comply with the following criteria:
- It must be written as an academic article.
- Extension: between 9000-10000 words (including footnotes, references and annexes).
- Language: The article should be written in English although articles written in Catalan and Spanish can also be accepted.
- Authors must follow the Chicago Style (1) notes and bibliography http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html